Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ever Have One of Those Days

You're not really sure which one of those days it is but you know you have had one. I know I have. My life has been flipped upside down, inverted from concave to convex, and turned in so many directions that sometimes I can't even tell if I am still moving. Ten years ago, I did not see my life the way it is now. Back then I dreamed of fast cars, sleek boats, massive houses, and mighty careers. Nowadays I dream of maid service, chauffeurs, grocery delivery, and baby food. I never get my house clean. The minute I start working on it, always during nap time, someone wakes up. My little tornado, Alex, can tear apart a clean room in less than sixty seconds. Amazing when it takes me two hours to clean it. He moves so quickly that it is unbelievable. I have going to the bathroom while he is awake, including washing hands, down to one minute in the hopes that I might get to go alone just once.

There's a country song "You're Gonna to Miss This" that talks about always looking ahead and not appreciating the moment you are in now. How true this is. How often do we think in terms of someday? I know I am guilty. I think about the days when we will have the truck paid off, when I will weigh less, or when Alex starts school. I have to remind myself to enjoy the moment I am in and not live in the moments that may or may not happen.

I love how crazy my life is. I love that I plan a day and at the end of it everything I planned did not happen. I love that life gets you so flipped around that you don't even know where you are going. Here is what I love the most: God knows where I am going. I don't have to worry about if I am on track or if I will accomplish all that I plan. He knows where I am, where I have been, and where I will go. He has great plans for me. They probably won't include fancy cars, houses, boats, or even servants, but they do include a little boy who is growing up more everyday. It's the greatest job I could ever be given. It is an honor and an awesome responsibility to help him grow into the man that God wants him to be.

1 comment: